View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Default I'm new here--Seeking advice

Posted By: Derek

Jeez, I didn't realize my simple little post would create such a firestorm around here. I stumbled upon this site when I did a Google search for "baseball card message board", and this site was one of the first ones listed. Honestly, I just now noticed that this site is dedicated to pre-WWII baseball cards. It was my fault for not recognizing this before when I posted. I apologize if I did not follow the proper protocol here. I just sort of jumped right in and did not read the "rules" of the forum first. I suppose my post was similar to someone posting a message about "Nip/Tuck" on the "Lost" message board. I was only looking for a little advice and how to get the maximum value in return for my cards. I'm sure I'm no different than every other red-blooded American who is looking to get the most bang for his or her buck. That being said, I've posted on a variety of message boards over the years and I realize there's always going to be a few dicks on every forum irregardless of the subject being discussed.

As far as the 2-week lag time between posts on this thread, I became a little preoccupied with the holidays and all the craziness that this time of year usually entails. So, selling my baseball cards had to take a backseat to some other things going on in my life at the time. I'm sure the majority of you can relate. I didn't realize that 5 replies to my initial post and a handful of e-mails from people suddenly made me an expert on the topic at hand and a "non-newbie" any longer?! Wow. That's kinda laughable. Its not like I was getting the same response from everyone either. Some people recommended not getting my cards graded. Some recommended getting them graded. Some recommended SGC for grading. Others recommended PSA. If my post was self-serving, then ummm, yeah, well I guess it was. lol Who isn't looking out for themselves first? Are you saying that the majority of the people on here aren't self-serving and are trying to make money for OTHER people and not themselves? Good Lord. I wasn't on here to steal anyone's thunder or become a millionaire or to become a card dealer or anything like that, so some of you can relax a bit. If giving someone else some free advice "makes you want to kick yourself" or "go puke" then don't give out any advice. No one forced you to divulge all your "secrets". Perhaps you're in the wrong profession. You should consider being a shrink so you can get paid for all the advice you give people.

I would like to thank the majority of you who did offer your opinions and advice both in personal e-mails and posting messages. It was much appreciated. I am still a bit confused as to how I want to proceed, but you have given me some ideas to ponder over. Like I said, its not like there was a general consensus of advice. I will not post scans of any of my other cards on this particular forum since it appears that this is not the appropriate place to do so. If someone could maybe refer me to another forum that might be a little more suitable to my topic, I would enjoy hearing from you. And to the few dicks out there, I'm sure you'll just go on being dicks.

I'll crawl back into my little hole now and disappear. I wouldn't want this thread to exceed the maximum number of replies of 28.