View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 01:01 PM
R.L. Americana, LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
It will be interesting to see if Doc ever gets inducted - from a card-collecting standpoint. Will ANY collectible from his lifetime containing his image, ever surface? I'm wondering if any commemorative cards have ever been issued?

There is at least one period image of Doc Adams that has surfaced (but they are few and far between!) The discovery of the 1862 Knickerbockers Reunion Team Photo including Doc Adams was one of the most exciting and miraculous finds I ever had the privilege and good fortune to handle.

Here’s the Sports Collectors Daily story of this find from 2007 just days after:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...eball-history/

John Thorn suggested to me that he felt it likely this team photograph was taken in honor of Doc Adams’ departure from the club. Late in 1862 Adams announced plans to leave New York, move to Connecticut and get married (which is exactly what he did). John Thorn thought it likely that this assemblage of early original Knickerbockers was gathered to pay tribute to Adams. To me, Doc Adams is a Hall of Famer and has been one always. Someday I am sure Cooperstown will agree!