View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 09:47 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Default Inheritance - splitting up your collection in your will

I am 48 and have a 6 year old and 5 year old. Probably should have done this 10 years prior (have kids, that is), but that’s a story for another day.

I’m currently working on: T206 (approaching 300 cards), C46, 1950 Bowman. The C46s and Bowmans are taking a back seat as I focus on the remaining 220+ cards in T206. I do have some other cool cards that I collected in the 80s. Mostly 50s Topps. I also have a coin collection that I’ve long neglected and may start up again when the T206 is complete. So, if I get to 80 years old, I [i]should[/] have the set close to completion. I may have all the US cents from the 1790s through present day. Quite a few Morgan’s.

I’ve been showing the kids the cards, sometimes they are interested, sometimes they aren’t. What have you guys done? Jay’s estimate of the T206 set at 520 cards of $70k sounds right. I gather the fairest thing would be: 1 child gets the T206 and the other gets the rest including the coins.

Of course, you never know when your time is up so 32 years may be less than that. (Jeez, I sure hope not. And, jeez, I wish I had kids in my 30s so I could see them and their children.) What have you guys done in regards to splitting up sets?