View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default 3rd December "Recent Pick Up" thread and.....

Posted By: barrysloate

As I recall the Peck and Snyder catalog I had which matches those prints was from 1873. The size of the pages was roughly 5" x 7" (just a guess) and each of the images were hand colored and were on relatively cheap paper stock. A color lithograph would be printed and most probably a higher quality paper stock would be used. My catalog was string bound, and you can see that the images you posted were too. If these are in fact on better stock paper and not hand colored, then they are more significant and I have never seen them before. Nevertheless, they were removed from some binding. I still have in my collection a 16" x 22" hand colored Peck and Snyder sporting goods advertising poster that was included in the 1869 Haney Guide, which they printed themselves for the first time that year. The poster was issued folded up and glued to the inside front cover. It was meant to be removed and placed in the window of a store. It is quite beautiful and rare. Your pieces are certainly intriguing if they were made to be removed, and undeniably beautiful at that.