View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Rich Klein

Default As a former hobby book editor

and I hate to say it on THIS board -- but the modern listings are as important if not more so than the vintage listings.

Because for so many collectors, the way we draw them into vintage cards is for them to start as new card collectors as that is still much more accessible and then they can come back into our world.

And any resource that is now taken away which covers those modern cards is a real shame. The price point for the modern card yearly price guide was much cheaper than the Standard Catalog and thus again made that book more accessible to collectors.

I'm not crunching the numbers like the folks at F&W but I suspect they will determine by next year not producing the "modern" tome was a mistake. In addition, the modern tome was needed last year because the post-2000 cards were put onto a CD Disk and not part of the book.

All of this is an unintended consequence of the overproduction of number of products issued in some of the middle years of 2003-2005. We had over 90 mainstream products issued in 2004 and thus who knows how much space had to be used for those products which still have a lasting effect today.

Regards
Rich