View Single Post
Old 10-18-2023, 07:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's wonderful. Even beat it belongs with the rest of the sheet.

I finally had a close look at the image size, and did a bit of math for other sets. For T206 sized cards, going on what looks like a 50x33 inch printed area the two different layouts work out to 34x12 cards if they're vertical and 19x22 if theyre horizontal.

The 34x12 fits fewer cards, but matches pretty much perfectly with the groupings, which almost always come out to 12 or 17/34.
I won't take it for granted that there is 1 sheet size for a particular issue, especially issues for which there is some deductive indications of multiple facility printing and printed over long stretches of time (T220 is probably 5-6 months with at least 3 distinct print periods in that timeframe) like T206. 34 and 12 fits a lot of the patterns and a larger sheet is more efficient from a production perspective.

One oddity here (or odd to me, as a printing novice) is the lack of extra border on the cards on the margin. On the sheets the cards measure correct on the ends, so that if there was even 1mm of miscutting the tan border would be replaced with white. I imagine in production more of the sheet margins were smeared with the silver layer to hide this, as we never see a silver border card with any hint of white cardstock on the front at an edge.

I pickup T miscuts etc. whenever possible but miscuts only take us so far in reconstructing. Different sets have different oddities, like some of the T218's being printed upside down, the smaller size cards being done in mostly vertical repeating arrangements. Can deduce a T42 (same size as T206) sheet has 25 different subjects, but who knows how many rows or if there are DP's involved to do that, it doesn't mean 25 rows across.

It's a shame that so little uncut material survives, and most of what did has been destroyed before being documented (like the alleged T206 panel Wagner and Plank came from, the T204 sheet, etc.). The T25 partial sheets above were also destroyed (I have 2 of the lower grade strips that were apparently the rejects from trimming them up) but thankfully documented first. Maybe the next find will be a T206 sheet and we can do better than make deductions. What we learn from them is often cooler than the material itself.