View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I think you are right. It technically can be done but the insane cost and resources to develop are not worth the ROI like Self Driving cars.
Yes, you could definitely write algorithms that could assign grades to cards and detect alterations. I just don't think the output of such models would be even remotely accurate enough to be all that helpful or useful in the real world. Would be happy to engage in a discussion with the genamint guys if they wanted to offer a rebuttal though. Also worth noting is that there are other ML approaches that could be used, but they'd all be subject to the same challenges.

There's a reason why PSA isn't currently using this technology to grade cards though despite having made a significant investment in it several months ago.

My suspicion is that they're simply taking scans in high def and with other light spectrums like UV and writing software to detect card stock that glows in blacklight, and that fingerprints cards and runs them against their database of existing cards to see if they have a match. Then those cards can be flagged for further investigation by the grading team. But this isn't machine learning, and it's certainly not "AI". I suspect they're just being rather liberal with the term "AI grading" because it's a big buzzword these days and it sounds good in a marketing campaign.