View Single Post
Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default Who do you collect with?

Posted By: joey

I started collecting when I was six (1981). I would get packs from behind the counter at my dad's gas station. When I was eight I really got into it. I had a friend and we were sorta in a competetion to see who could have the best collection. Every day after school one of our grandparents would pick us up from school and take us to their house so we could trade for and hour or two. We mainly collected cards from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. We would go to shows and so on together. When I was ten my dad got involved and really started to collect with me. I still have some of the 1987 cases we bought (Bonds rookie) still unopened. When I was fourteen and started high school I got away from cards and switched gears to girls. Also I had a sour taste in my mouth from the same friend I collected with stole my Rod Carew rookie, Johnny Bench rookie, and my Nolan Ryan rookie (although I couldn't prove it). He was the only one that knew where I hid them and I caught him hiding a 73 Willie Stargel under his dresser of mine while we were trading. He said he was going to hide it a see if I knew it was missing. I got my first tobacco card (T206 Abbaticchio, Brown sleeves - Sovereign back). In August of 05 I wanted to start collecting something again so I started with autographs. That did not hold my attention long. Then when I was cleaning out a junk room I came across my Abbaticchio again. I knew then what my goal was to collect...t206 with sovereign backs. I had one card in Jan. I made my first card purchase on ebay jan. 12, 06. I know have 53 total with six hall of famers. I collect on average 10 to 14 a month. I have became a t206 junkie. Also, I can appreciate the fact that most wives do not truely appreciate the true beauty of a good tobacco card. So if anyone comes across an extra sovereign back they need to get rid of, please keep me in mind.