View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 08:46 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I'm just back from a long trip and was eyeing this thread while away. I'm starting to think of some Topps and Bazooka issues in terms of an issue range vs a specific year as the more I've looked at things, the more I've found that it often took several months for somethng to roll out from the 1940's through the early 70's. There's also a handful of things that took a couple of years but so far that seems to be for test issues that became retail issues on the NS side.

Things like Bazooka premiums often would be available in several ways and for several years. The team emblems offered on 1952 Baseball wrappers, or something like them, were available as premium offers from Bazooka for many years, with updates for new cities and teams as needed. These would be offered on Bazooka comics, in their premium catlaogs and even sometimes just in random ways. This would also result in variations in size, texture etc., some more significant than others.

I re-checked my master list and I have the team emblem transfers as both 1960 and 1962 right now, with an associated mailing envelope for each. I'm not 100% positive these are the same thing (or conversely, that they are not) and other years are possible as well. The dating in that blog post is probably from a Columbia City Collectibles ad or catalog. They were pretty accurate on dating things and Mike has seen a ton of items over the years but as noted above, the dating is kind of fungible on certain premiums.

To give an idea, below is an excerpt from my list, with notes, showing just how tough it is to track specific years for things like premiums (note the 1952 Big League Emblems "Plastic" entry is likely what I call a red herring, not sure the red text I use to ID will come through but it's likely not a Topps premium). I'd love to crowdsource dating of issues and the like for these. Some entries just capture a passing comment I have seen somewhere (1958 Team Folders might be the team emblems or something else for example). I'm trying to acquire type examples of everything on my lists for all sports and non-sports issues for verification and am 90% of the way there, maybe even a little more. Premiums are sometimes much harder to find than even some limited and test releases.

I'm starting to get my master Topps lists in better order and am close to organizing all my scans but other projects are resulting in slow progress at present. I'm constantly updating entries though and am quite interested in everybody's comments and observations. I can post updates on the blog easily enough (with full credit of course).

I have some of these and am missing others in my PC; a couple I may have but can't tell what they actually are.

R UNC-X 1952 TOPPS TEAM PENNANTS PREMIUM ADVERTISED ON 1952 BASEBALL WRAPPER
R UNC-X 1952 TOPPS TEAM EMBLEMS PREMIUM FELT ADVERTISED ON 1952 BASEBALL WRAPPER
R 414-UNC 1952 TOPPS/BAZOOKA BIG LEAGUE EMBLEMS PREMIUM PLASTIC IS THIS THE PREMIUM?
R UNC-X 1956 TOPPS TEAM EMBLEMS PREMIUM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1958 TOPPS TEAM FOLDERS PREMIUM
R UNC-X 1958 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TEAM EMBLEMS PREMIUM MY FAVORITE TEAM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1959 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TEAM PENNANTS PREMIUM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC 1960 TOPPS ALBUM PREMIUM SAME AS TRADING CARD GUILD/TCG ALBUM
R 414-18 1960 TOPPS/BAZOOKA HOT IRON TRANSFER PREMIUM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1960 TOPPS/BAZOOKA HOT IRON TRANSFER ENVELOPE BAZOOKA JOE CARTOON ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R BF5 1961 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TEAM PENNANTS PREMIUM REISSUE W/ AL EXPANSION TEAMS
R 414-UNC 1962 TOPPS/BAZOOKA HOT IRON TRANSFER PREMIUM ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1962 TOPPS/BAZOOKA HOT IRON TRANSFER ENVELOPE ISSUED IN OTHER YEARS TOO?
R UNC-X 1968 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TEAM PENNANTS PREMIUM HAS OAKLAND A'S - 14 1/2"
R 414-50-UNC 1968 TOPPS/BAZOOKA TIPPS FROM THE TOPPS PREMIUM? BOOKLET
R 414-UNC 1971 BAZOOKA TEAM EMBLEMS PREMIUM ON 5" X 7" PAPER

Last edited by toppcat; 05-08-2021 at 08:58 AM.