View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 11:01 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I agree with you and with the players mentioned here and the viewpoints expressed for these players pros and cons. Since the reorganization of the Old Timers/Veterans committee I have believed and lobbied for 5 categories rather than the present 3. This would allow for a 5 year rotation rather than the present 3 year rotation between categories and therefore candidates would not be recycled regularly , and the same names would not be showing up all the time and we would not see voter lethargy due to the same names being nominated every 3 years. Also let the categories include players, umpires, executives, owners, and negro leaguers.
It seems we all agree that there are 10-20 19th -early 20th century players deserving election, and probably the same number of serious negro league players. The 5 year rotation would allow for possibly a greater review of these players accomplishments as well as allowing for a few fresh faces to show up on the Veterans Committee and therefore have a different look at some of these deserving players with new insights into their careers and an appreciation of their contributions to baseball and avoiding voter boredom amid repetition.
I really think a Net54 veterans committee could do as well as or better than the present Veterans Committee.
My categories would be :
1. Pioneers 1869-1900
2. Dead Ball Era 1901-1920
3. Rise to Prominence 1921-1950
4. Glory Days 1950-1970
5. Expansion Era 1971- Present
I know this doesn't mention specific players, the members have all stated their cases for players well. I too have my long list of players, execs, umps, owners and negro leaguers that I feel deserve election also. This is a viewpoint to address the broader topic of getting players elected that deserve to be.