View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 03:49 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
The 1903 Washington Senators won 43 games, lost 94, and finished in eighth place in the American League. They were managed by Tom Loftus and played home games at the American League Park I.

Washington had finished in sixth place in each of the previous two seasons (the first two seasons of the American League's existence). However, they fell to eighth and last in 1903. Their only star player, Big Ed Delahanty, got drunk and fell off a bridge into Niagara Falls midway through the season.

The Senators' pitching had always been bad, and indeed, they would allow the most runs in the AL, but without Delahanty the offense sputtered to a halt. Their collective batting average was .231, bad even for the dead-ball era, and no one drove in more than 49 runs.
George, your description of the 1903 Senators reminded me of the Senators teams I grew up with and rooted for in the 1950's and 1960's. Ugh!

And, having just watched them lose their 6th game in a row to fall to a record of 23 wins - 44 losses when I read your post, it also reminded me of my current Washington Nationals, who have hit rock bottom since winning the W. S. in 2019. The pitching is absolutely pathetic, and the star player, Juan Soto, is mired in a season-long slump, currently batting in the .220's with a measly 28 RBIs. Sigh!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.