View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 09:03 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Who else had an issue??? I remember the one guy had a pubic hair in his 1963 Mantle card. Was there someone else?
Yeah, that was me. I'm embarrassed a tad to admit - that as we speak, that particular card is back at SGC right now - being totally re-evaluated, since I popped it.

This happened before Christmas, and yes - I was royally pissed. Total lack of QC, someone should have seen that on the scan if not in hand if any QC had been done at all. I emailed Brent at SGC in a tizzy and told him to refund me (which he did) because I was popping the card. I spent the next few days being pissy on social media and generally disavowing everything about TPG's. (The fact that they also sent me back a '54 Jackie as trimmed did nothing to improve my mood).

What's the moral here? I really don't know. At the end of the day, though I am increasingly more into raw lower grade vintage - there are a few cards like that Mantle that I want in a slab. SGC despite their all too human faults - still does this kind of thing less often and has better customer service in general than PSA does. So yeah, I'm trying to be more patient and forgiving here in the new year - and obviously, I'm eating my words right now on my pubed up, Peter Griffin-worthy '63 Mantle.

Sorry to the OP that this happened to you on what looks like an otherwise very nice Red Man Mays. To me, that looks like what I see even more often floating around in SGC slabs - it's like a piece of the molding that is used in the inserts? That is hands down the hugest one I've ever seen that got encapsulated and somehow made it past them, if that is what it is. Sad yes, and no excuse. But they are human. And I'm trying to look at things like my own patience, etc. a bit different here in the new year. I have no idea how long it will last, but I'm hopeful...

And PS - yeah, you can bang on and rattle SGC slabs all day long if there is something sealed up in there you don't like. It doesn't work. I've never been able to get lint or the black insert shards that you sometimes see to move even a fraction by doing that. The only alternatives seem to be to pop the slab or send back to them for a re-holder.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-25-2023 at 09:16 AM.