Thread: April Pick Ups
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 06:21 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Tommy Bond...close to making the Hall

Tommy Bond pitched two big league seasons before the National League existed. In the NL's first year in 1876 Bond was a 31-game winner. He won 40 or more games in each of the next three seasons. I just picked up his lifetime pass then added a page for him on my website (CooperstownExpert.com).

He's a solid candidate for the Hall. He earned the major league's first pitching triple crown in 1877, won 234 games and has a career 2.14 ERA. He had six seasons with 20+ wins, four with 30+ wins, and three straight with 40+ wins. Some criticize his 10-year career as too brief for Cooperstown, but only 59 pitchers in history threw more innings than Bond. Here's more about his qualifications.

If you like the lifetime passes, here's a link to a page with passes from Hall of Famers Sliding Billy Hamilton, Joe Sewell, Al Simmons, Stan Coveleski, Dick Williams, Joe Cronin, Early Wynn, and Joe McCarthy. Passes from non-Cooperstown men are there too, including those from Minnie Minoso, Dave Parker, Harvey Haddix, Ned Garver, and George Scott.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tommy-Bond-lifetime-pass-e1618632092704-1024x686.jpg (79.5 KB, 374 views)