View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
anyone have any theories on Ticket Stubs from the pre-digital age ( lets call it pre 2015 ) , increasing in more demand/value, since now its basically 99% phone based?
FWIW, as a ticket collector of nearly 50 years, I believe that earlier vintage baseball tickets with historical significance will continue to climb in value. Many of these games were lightly attended and other than post season and All-Star games, fans frequently did not save their ticket stubs. They were tossed as trash.

OT, but in my mind there is no doubt that the turning point for baseball ticket collecting as a hobby increased in popularity during the 1998 season during the Mark McGwire-Sammy Sosa HR race. This became the tipping point.

That being said, I'm not certain that this will hold true with recent tickets that are available in great abundance. Re: your pre-2015 tickets.
MLB attendance was higher, people began using e-tickets instead of their hard tickets, leaving many mint condition full tickets. I'm not sure that a large supply will allow for great increases in value unless the hobby has more collectors than supply.

Being scarce doesn't always mean valuable, even though supply may be limited.

At the risk of being accused of being Captain Obvious, as with any other collectibles, a good rule of thumb is:
The more that an item is in demand, the more likely that the value will continue to rise.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-23-2021 at 08:29 AM.