View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 08:48 AM
Ken

Looks like you also have Bob Veale, who was apparently a pitching instructor in the organization as per the below. So maybe some minor leaguers were there for some occasion.

The Red Sox training staff worked on Veale’s arm throughout the year, and he was able to appear in 18 games. But as the season progressed, he was used sparingly, pitching only 13 innings, with an ERA of 5.54. His last major-league appearance came on September 8 against the Milwaukee Brewers. Once the season was over, he made it known that he would like to stay in baseball as a coach or minor-league instructor, and while he had to sit out the 1975 season, he was hired in 1976 by the Atlanta Braves as a minor-league pitching instructor.

On his way to the Braves’ West Palm Beach spring training camp in February of 1977, Veale drove his car into a canal when he became drowsy from medication he had taken for the flu. “Believe me, I’m lucky,” he said. “Two feet either side of where I went into and I’d have hit a concrete culvert head-on.”22 Despite his scare, Veale enjoyed his new job. “I love it,” he said. “Actually, it’s more challenging than playing. There’s great satisfaction in being in a position to move young fellows up to the major leagues. That’s what life is all about.”23