View Single Post
Old 06-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Default Goudey Babe Ruth???

Posted By: Hankron

I rank the 1933 Goudey Ruths (any of the poses) amongst those that you should not buy online from someone you don't know or trust, unless the card has been graded by reputable dealer (scams can still be done with graded cards, or images of graded cards, so I would still deal with someone with a nice reputation). There are many more reprints/counterfeits than genuine cards, and a lot of scammers use this card, as it is popular and expensive.

Luckily, anyone who has already owned 1933-4 Goudeys (including rough condition commons) will be able to tell the difference between the real and fake Ruth wish some ease. A quick, in person comparison of printing and stock will weed out nearly all fakes right away. If you buy some cheap Goudey commons, I bet it will even help you pick out the fakes on eBay.

Also, most fake Goudey Ruths can be detected (or strongly hinted at) because either the picture card looks bad or the seller uses the tell-tale scamm seller language ("I'm no expert, but a local card shop said such-and-such" ... "Absolutely no returns" ... "My squirrell needs an emergency hernia opperation and I need the money quick" ... "This was obtained from the estate of my 7 year old sister")

When buying expensive, esoteric and/or items I'm not personally experienced with, I am a firm beleiver in buying from dealers and I know and respect.