View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 11:38 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I think the best approach is to just go for lower grade sets. You can still buy the nicer stars or the nicer cards that appeal to you if you please....but a card is a card is a card...who cares if your Arnie Portacarrero is in mint condition
Spend far less by not worrying about the tiny differences of a dinged corner or crease.
If you are not chasing NR Mint Art Mahaffey or Lou Klimchock for 10x the price of a well loved common, your budget will go much farther

Same with the stars...you either have a 1954 Willie Mays or you don't....the price between fair/good and NR mint is ridiculous if you are mainly interested in filling the set
I hear what you are saying. For the most part, I have been a mid grade collector who doesn't buy much of anything high grade. The graded cards I buy are usually in the 3 to 5 range and mostly crease and wrinkle-free , with something a little higher on occasion. This range has been about the same for commons (just ungraded). In the past, I have considered not being so picky with condition. I am not talking about beaters, but not thinking a light crease in a few cards was the end of the world. If I am going to build as many sets as I want, I will probably have to let go on condition somewhat. Otherwise, I would just limit myself to buying the cards I really want from the sets I really want, which might allow me to buy something a little better grade but still mid grade. I can enjoy it both ways I suppose. Thanks for your reply.

Robert

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk