View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 03:01 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Mark I can answer the thought of how popular Brooks still is in Arkansas. He is held in high reverence. I am a very proud member of the Brooks Robinson-George Kell Chapter of SABR.

Brooks was not just a great baseball player out of Little Rock Central High School but also a great basketball star and he played football early on. Brooks used to attend events in the state on a regular basis but his traveling days are limited from what I hear these days.

I never missed a chance to see him in person though I never saw him play.
Mike,

Thanks so much for the insight concerning Arkansas and the general feeling towards Brooks still to this day. Can you elaborate on what the Brooks Robinson George Kell Chapter of SABR is all about? Would enjoy hearing what that entails.

On Day 1 I mentioned a magazine, Baseball 1971 Yearbook, with the article entitled, “Brooks Robinson’s Greatest Decision” which discusses a tough decision ultimately not to continue playing football which Brooks, along with his family, decide for him to pursue baseball. If I can recall correctly the article is taken out of the Jack Zanger book The Brooks Robinson Story.

Sorry you didn't get the chance to see Brooks play, but he's just as great of a person as he was as a player; he was the best defender, at any position, in baseball.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-04-2020 at 03:12 AM.