View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 AM

I can not attest to that particular institution, unfortunately.

I've heard both positive and negative stories in regards to loaning items to other institutions.

A couple horror stories stem directly from players who donated to one particular hall of fame. Ned Garver lent a game used jersey which he treasured; the other player loaned some beautiful pre-war team signed photos. The hall of fame moved locations before disappearing altogether. Sadly, many years after the one player died, I recognized one of his custom team-signed pieces being offered for sale at auction. By that point, he was long deceased and there was nobody to contact about the issue. It really rubbed me the wrong way. I never heard if Ned managed to get his jersey back, but judging from what happened to the other player's material, it's doubtful.

Personally, I'd politely tell them to forget it. There's really nothing in it for you except risk. Tell the museum that they're welcome to come to you and take photos of whatever they wish. For the security of yourself and your collection, I'd request that they leave your name out of any display labels or publications (as in "From the MikeKnapp collection" or "Courtesy of 71Buc"). Some are more comfortable with attaching their name to such things than I would be. I prefer privacy. Enjoy your collection; you paid for it, so keep it close and keep it safe!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-24-2021 at 11:51 AM.