View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 10:13 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

I loaned a few items from my Richie Ashburn collection to the HOF for Ashburn's 1995 Induction display. See photo of me standing in front of it below.

My father and I traveled up to Cooperstown early that summer to take things up to see what they would want to use. It was a great trip to really connect with my father one on one with no other family around. It was all the more memorable as he passed away two short years later.

I was lucky enough to be given a behind the scenes tour by Ted Spencer who was the curator at the time if that was his official title. You should see the stuff they have in the basement!! Probably five times the amount of items as they actually have on display to the public.

As I recall they had contracts to sign with values assigned and terms as to when the items would be returned etc. Photos were also taken for ID and insurance purposes. Being that it was the HOF I had little worries.

Years later I also loaned some items from my collection, a Connie Mack Stadium seat and a few other things to the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia. Believe it or not they had a sports Exhibit at one time. I was also invited to a luncheon there announcing the exhibit that Bill Russell attended. Again, I had no worries as to the safety of my items. They were returned to me along with the signage they produced with info on my items saying among others things from the collection of Fred.....

Being able to share a small part of one's collection for others to see and enjoy is very rewarding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me at the HOF.jpg (75.1 KB, 764 views)