View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default 1869 Peck & Snyder Observation & Question

Posted By: Andy Baran

I doubt that the Ann Street address is earlier, and still believe that the most likely answer is that the address was interchangeable. Postal addresses in the 1860's were not exact as they are today. They probably had a door on both streets, hence the 2 addresses.

I actually heard a theory some time ago (by Terry Knousse Sr. I believe) that the Ann Street Addressed cards could have been issued later in 1869 than the Nassau Street cards. The theory is that all Ann Street cards advertise Ice Skates (which the scans prove - at least for this small sample), and that Peck & Snyder would have no reason for advertising Ice Skates until late fall, early winter. This theory is a strong as any other, and I'm sure that Julie likes it. We could create theories for either address.

I'm not actually trying to determine which is older, since I believe that they were both were issued in the same year 1869. I just found it interesting that there are 2 different addresses, and wanted to try to figure out why. Too bad there isn't some kind of Peck & Snyder company history available. I think it's the only way we would ever know for sure.