Thread: Ya Got It?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 10:31 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
That was just wrong: If an infielder drops the ball in transferring it from glove to hand, the out is counted...should be the same for a catcher.

I don't disagree but apparently there is a difference between a batted ball and one that is thrown, in the infield anyway. So if a middle infielder receives a throw and then maybe drops it before transferring it to his throwing hand the play can be reviewed, but if a line drive is hit to an infielder who, in his haste to double up a baserunner drops or maybe drops it while going to his throwing hand, the ump's call of catch or no catch cannot be reviewed. I'm not saying I agree with that rule nor do I claim 100% certainty that I stated it correctly, but that is really the only distinction I can see. If so, I guess the fact that the bat hit the ball makes it a catch/no catch decision that cannot be reviewed.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.