View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
This thread reminds me of the '75 Brett thread a few months ago. Anyone remember that? A buyer bought a PSA 9 '75 Brett RC on eBay for $500 (normally a $1500? card).

It was a pricing error by the seller. How did the seller handle it? He honored the sale. Here are his own words:

"The George Brett card in question came from my collection . I am slowly selling many of my graded single cards as well as other ungraded cards .
My son has been selling cards for awhile and I asked him to handle the transactions for me at a commission percent . I would give him the cards with descriptions and prices and he would post them. The Brett card in question was given to my son to sell for $1500.00 BUT he misread the price and posted it at $500.00 and it sold immediately before I could proofread his postings to check for accuracy and proper pricing. When I noticed the error I wanted to cancel the sale for the gross error in the price but my son and I decided to live with our error and let the card go for the $500.00 in order to prevent a potentially bad situation from eBay and the buyer .
I am sure if we had canceled the sale for the pricing error he would have been mad too and notified eBay ...so you see we were in a lose - lose situation ."

There is no legal obligation to complete the deal. Moral obligation? Yeah, somewhat - maybe not to complete the deal, but to do something for the customer (sell at/slightly above cost, discount on another item, or something) especially when it happens 2 separate times.

If we went to a store to buy something and we get to the register to pay and the item rings up significantly more than the posted price and the store refuses to honor their price, it might leave a bad taste in our mouth. If it happened on 2 separate occasions, then the customer has a legitimate complaint.
So we're expected to hold the seller to a moral compass, and not the buyer? I would hope we want the seller and buyer on the same moral ground.

If we look long enough and hard enough, pricing errors can be found in ANY business. There are shoppers ( on the internet or brick and mortar ) who troll looking for those mistakes and try to take advantage.

Businesses are not in business to give things away. Most reasonable customers understand that. It falls back to, if it's too good to be true then it probably is, in terms of the price in relationship to the item.