View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 04:41 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
Like card collecting, rule number 1 is:
If it looks too good to be true, that is because it is!

A general rule of thumb that I use, and this doesn't always apply: If the bat has the inches marked on the knob, I generally consider it a retail bat; unless there is compelling evidence to the contrary.

Also, do not confuse signed bats, which might have a PSA or JSA sticker on them, with game used bats, which might have a PSA or Mears sticker on them.

If you want to collect bats, I suggest get the book, and then start small, with a few "known" bats that have PSA or Mears letters with them. Louisville Sluggers are a great way to start out, because the books will help you ID the gamers pretty quick.
There are also a couple of other great books on bats that are must haves.

If you like it, after a while, you will start taking chances on a few more of the bigger fish.

One thing that I watch out for is that I can totally talk myself into believing any bat is a gamer; so I often get an objective opinion if I can before doing anything crazy.
All good advice. I will add, learn about team index bats (Bats ordered by teams that have a players name but were probably never used by that player) Many collectors and even experts, get fooled by them

If you are collecting modern, stick with MLB Authenticated stuff. Also try to photo match bats, use sites like Getty Images and look for photos of the player holding a bat and compare.