View Single Post
Old 07-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default Ebay Fiasco- please read

Posted By: TBob

The seller does not contract with ebay to sell an item. This is obvious from the fact that ebay holds itself apart as having no part in any agreement to sell or buy an item on ebay. The only thing the seller does is "rent space" on ebay's webpages to display an item for sale and agree to abide by the terms of ebay's conditions. The only contract occurs when a buyer bids on an item for sale on ebay and is the highest bidder and the reserve (if any) is met. Then there is a contract between buyer and seller. The OTHER way a contract is created is if a prospective bidder/buyer makes an offer to a seller and the seller agrees to accept that tendered offer. THAT is also a contract. I could have held the seller to the contract, but didn't.
What I object to is the emailing of lies that ebay forbids a seller from ending an auction early and cancelling the auction sales. This is pure horess#$% and everyone here knows it. Regardless of how you feel about ending auctions early, and I don't like the idea either, ebay SPECIFICALLY PERMITS it and even has a web site link to help a seller do it and instructions on how to do it.
Regardless of your views on if it is "morally" right or wrong to do it, it is "legally" permissible. have I lost cards because they were sold out from under me? All the time. Do I like it? No. Have I come to understand that it is part of the ebay game? Yes.
The emailing of lies in an attempt to intimidate, embarrass, threaten or coerce an ebay member is something else. It worked for the cretins this time so I guess they are happy.