View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 06:47 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
We lose Lou Brock, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, and Whitey Ford. For all those who grew up with baseball heroes from 50's, 60's and into the 70's this is so tragic. I cannot stop shedding tears over Whitey. Growing up in SoCal, will never forget Sandy besting Whitey in '63 not once but twice.....including the game four 2-1 W for the sweep - whereby the great Whitey showed up with a TWO hitter. Easy to make a case for Whitey as the best big game P in history - even when he lost. RIP Edward Charles Ford.
Maybe I am what used to be called an old fud, but I really and truly believe that was the all-time best era of baseball, before the big money and free agency ruined it forever. Now it appears to be strictly business; even the post-series-clinching pile-on looks like a cliche, just doing what's expected. The players today don't look like they are just having fun, more like the kind of fun that comes with being paid big-time money, so much that they can't even remember or comprehend what it is like to make what it is that real people make out here in reality land. "Does anyone remember laughter?", as Robert Plant used to say. I can't wait until the names become "Dunkin' Donuts Fenway Park" and "Cal-Edison Dodger Stadium", or "Mutual of New York Yankee Stadium". Do players get nicknames anymore? Can you get an autograph without "On-Field VIP Access"? Do players give interviews without seeming as though they are watching the stock report behind the interviewer, or sounding as if they have a corn cob jammed up their you know what? As good as they are, are there any of the so-called "household names" in baseball anymore? Sad that Whitey Ford passed away? You bet it is. For all of his off-the-field exploits with Mickey Mantle and Billy Martin, the big question is, who is going to fill his cleats?

Last edited by jingram058; 10-10-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Typo