View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writehooks View Post
May 8, 1968 -- Catfish Hunter's perfect game vs. Minnesota, at Alameda County Coliseum in Oakland. Only 6,200 fans witnessed the 9th perfect game in MLB history, but it was a dandy. Besides fanning the great Harmon Killebrew three times, Hunter came back from a 3-0 count to fan Tony Oliva and K'd the last two men he faced: Bruce Look and Rich Reese. Catfish also helped his own cause with 3 RBIs in Oakland's 4-0 win, thanks to a bunt single in the bottom of the seventh (to score Rick Monday), and a 2-run single in the eighth.
Murr,
I had the opportunity to spend 15 minutes with Rich Reese one time in AZ.
We arranged a meet after exchanging a couple of letters perhaps 10 years ago.
I have always been interested in Reese for several reasons including him being Nolan Ryan's final strikeout in his MLB record 383rd strikeout in 1973, a game that I actually witnessed as a teenager.
We spoke at length about sports, his career in baseball and his amazing career in business.
With regards to Catfish Hunter's perfect game, he was especially proud of the fact that he forced Catfish to really dig deep in his final at bat in order to get the perfecto. I believe that Reese told me that he made him throw 11 pitches and really twist in the wind before getting him out.
Rich Reese is truly one of the nicest, most straightforward, candid and interesting people that I have ever met.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catfish Hunter perfect game celebration on field 1968.jpg (61.8 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-10-2015 at 05:34 AM.