View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Archie Bush—Amateur Era Superstar

This is a short version of a much longer piece I did to amuse myself during this time period. Questions or cites etc available if you want them. Images at the end.

I recently acquired a cdv of Archie Bush, CivilWar vet and star of the Albany Knickerbockers, Phillips Andover Academy and Harvard University (1865-1871). During that time he was featured in a Leslie’s Illustrated article with woodcut, started baseball at Phillips, captained the Harvard teams that regularly played and beat the top professional teams, led them on their famous 1870 tour, was elected President of the National Association of Amateur Ball Players-in 1867 while still a student and is credited by John Thorn and Peter Morris with teaching Spalding his “slow raise” to use as the first change of pace. However, he is best known today as the reason Candy Cummings first used his curve ball. (See Mark Pestana SABR article).
My interest was piqued when I acquired Warren images of the 1869 and 1870 Harvard teams as part of my 1869-70 Cincinnati Red Stockings collection. Harvard played them once in 1869, and twice in 1870, all losses. But, they were within 2 outs of becoming the first team to ever beat Cincinnati at their home field, Union Park. They were leading 17-12 when their pitcher (Godwin) was stuck by a line drive and needed to be removed. Cincinnati then scored 8 runs to remain undefeated at home.
After graduating, Bush worked for his father in Troy NY, (Gilbert, How Baseball Happened), got married and died on his honeymoon cruise to Europe in 1877.
In 1912, Sam Crane, former player and “perhaps the most esteemed sportswriter of his time”(Baseball Reference), named Bush, surprisingly, #7 on his list of the Fifty Greatest Ball Players. Although he has a SABR page, it is limited to basic birth/death info. This cdv, formerly owned by Mark Rucker, has appeared in at least 3 major auctions and the cover of a SABR publication without identification. Bush is on the left and his cousin, James McClure is on the right. (check out his belt). The stamp on the reverse is from 1864-66.
In addition to the cdv I am attaching images of Bush in civil war uniform and his Leslie’s woodcut from the internet. Then there are the 1869 and 1870 Harvard teams and a page with games and scores of the 1870 tour.