View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 09:01 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
A couple of quick stories.

One of the hotels where many musicians would stay in Boston was the Four Seasons. We called it The Fours. The hotel had an overhang so cars could pull up to the front door and not be on the sidewalk. The overhang was also the outside of the hotel and the edge of their property They had one simple rule: Don't come onto their property unless you were told you could. Nice and simple. One day we were waiting for Rod Stewart. He comes out, sees us and waves us to come over. As we walk over to the car for him to sign the driver starts blocking us. I had to point out to him that we were called over. Rod signed for everyone.

Another time we were waiting for Kenny Loggins, all time nice guy. He was in town for a concert on Boston Common. He comes out of the hotel walks over to us on the public sidewalk and says 'Hey guys, how's it going? What is a good direction to go for a walk?" Hotel security comes running out onto the sidewalk and demands that we not bother their guests. Loggins with a straight face looks at him and says something like 'Why are you bothering me and my friends' and waves him off. Interestingly that also happened with basketball player David Robinson outside the Marriott Copley Hotel. A few of us were standing with him in the median halfway across Huntington Ave. and he was signing autographs. Two hotel security people come running across the street and tell us to leave him alone. He said something very similar and I believe mentioned that this was not hotel property.

Massachusetts has a public accommodation law. It pretty much says that if you are a place of public accommodation, ie a hotel, you cannot bar people from using your facilities. Great to know if you want to use a bathroom. Also good if you want to sit on a couch in the lobby and rest. We were waiting for Gloria Estefan, one of the nicest musicians I have ever met, outside the Fours. I went inside to sit down and relax. I was dressed decently so no problem. I am sitting there and she comes off one of the elevators all alone. She looks at me and I smile. She walks up to me and asks if I want her autograph. Of course I said yes and she signs. After she walks away security reminds me that we are not supposed to ask for autographs in the hotel. I told them what happened and they said that's okay. It was still funny as that is not the norm.

One more. Anyone who has gone to the Orpheum in Boston knows that it is at the end of a very short dead end street. Not an alley as it has sidewalks on both sides and two cars can fit side by side. There is an alley on Bromfield Street, but no one really uses it. Musicians go in the front door. Good to know if you want to catch a musician coming or going for sound check. I was waiting outside for Lou Reed while he was doing his sound check. Some person, either a band person or theatre person I am not sure which one, maybe Doug!!! Opened the door and said 'Don't bother Mr. Reed when he leaves'. I've never been one to listen to a functionary. Lou Reed walks out. I ask him (I always use Mr.) if he would mind signing an autograph. He walks right over and signs. Not a problem. All the time that turd was standing in the door stewing.

More stories to come. Now a few photos.

Lou Reed at an in store appearance Strawberry Records Kenmore Sq, Boston
Attachment 426736

Danny Johnson playing with Derringer. Jaxx here in Springfield, VA. The former home of Swedish death metal on the East Coast.
Attachment 426734

John Kay of Steppenwolf playing outdoors at a sort of biker bar in North Brookfield MA
Attachment 426735

Buck Dharma of BOC. Providence, RI Night of Healing benefit concert for the families and victims of The Station nightclub fire. I had been to that club a few times. Thankfully not that night as not a fan of Great White.
Attachment 426733
Great stories and nice pics. Haven't thought about Danny Johnson in years. Saw him when he was with Derringer, and then saw him at the Whiskey in Hollywood with his own band (I think it was an off night when he was playing with Rod Stewart at the Forum). Real solid band, and I remember they did a cover of "The Letter" that is probably the best I have heard to date.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete