View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 07:16 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Thre are deals still to be had. Look for non mainstream issues, especially premiums and over sized issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Agree with this. My solution to "collecting on a budget" is to identify which players and eras I want to collect, then find a lesser collected set from that era...this allows me to chase and enjoy those cards at a fraction of cost of the "popular sets".

Examples:

I LOVE the artwork and player selection of 1951 Bowman...but due to the price of the 51 Mantle, I decided to build the 1952 Bowman set. The artwork is just as good, I still get to include Mays and Mantle, but I can get the ENTIRE set in EX condition for the same price of a beat up 51 Mantle.

I think the 1933 Goudey set is iconic...but I've been building the 1935 Goudey 4 in 1 set instead. A lot of the same artwork and many of the same HOF players (including Ruth!) but WAY more cost efficient.

You could apply this same logic to other sets...if 52 Topps is out of your budget, you could chase 1953 Topps (similar players and even better artwork in my opinion).

If you like t206, you could make a run at the gold bordered t205 (only has ONE Cobb to obtain instead of four).

And so on.