View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 11:56 AM
Michael

I don't think you can get a hold or save (or blown save) if you enter in the third inning and you are the first relief pitcher in because there is no one for you to hold or save the game for...because the starter can't get a win if he is out by the third inning. Otherwise you could end up with a game with seven people getting holds but no one getting the win (and you can't get a win and also a hold/save).

However, if you enter in the third after two pitchers have pitched, and the second pitcher is in line for the win, you could get a hold or a blown save (unless you finish the game, in which case you would probably be awarded the win by the official scorer, although I guess in theory you could also get a very long save).

In fact, it looks like before the starter goes five innings, the second pitcher cannot get a hold or save or blown save no matter when he comes in. In this example, Maeda left after 4.1 inning with the lead but he couldn't get the win because he didn't go five. Duffey came in and held the lead but didn't get a hold. Then three pitchers came in and got holds (the hold was to preserve a win for Duffey, who presumably would have gotten the win if the Twins had held the lead). If any of those pitchers had given up the lead, they would have gotten a blown save. Then Colome came in for the "real" save in the ninth and got a "real" blown save.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg committee 1.JPG (24.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg committee 2.JPG (30.9 KB, 54 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 09-26-2021 at 11:58 AM.