View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Proofs?

Posted By: Johs Evans

I am assuming these are the same “Old Judge Proofs” that I viewed several years back (also out of Vermont). I knew in two seconds that they were frauds. Not even close.

A “professional photographer” did the authentication. Sears or J.C. Penny? That is like your cards being authenticated by the guy selling wax packs in the 7-11 back in 1973. And the fact that he has been doing it for 40 years only raises issues of old age. Several times through the years I have been faced photographers telling us what is what on vintage photos. Every single time it was nothing but problems. A guy that takes photos means he is just that. Not an expert on vintage images.

For what it’s worth, a semi-retired Bob Lemke could care less about the advertising recevenue brought in by American Memorabilia. He just saw something he liked and reported on it. Bob erred in my opinion but his heart was in the right place. He wanted to show something to the collecting public he thought was cool.

They should be pulled immediately from that auction. That is what I would do. Lemke should also explore this further to set the SCD reader’s straight.