View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 07:47 PM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Damn, Jason, that is one impressive run! Are you gonna cross over all the cards then sell them and retire?
Haha, retirement is nowhere on the horizon...

It will be hard not to give the #101 Jordan an attempt at a crossover to PSA 8, for sure. It looks worthy of a shot. But I like consistency so much in my collection that it would be tough to have some PSA/some BGS for these Star cards. I've kinda gotten used to having them all in BGS, even though they're the only Beckett holders I own.

I suspect the Crossovers are going to be tough. A quick look at my cards made me think that anything with a subgrade under 8.5 for Corners doesn't have much of a chance at hitting a PSA 8 by their current standards. My 7.5 Jordan ROY doesn't even look like a PSA 7, possibly. Pure speculation, but I think cards with a strong Corner subgrade and nice edges should do well. PSA's centering tolerance is already pretty forgiving, and if they take into account the poor centering of certain Star issues that might matter even less.

I agree with Peter though, it's going to be fascinating to see how PSA approaches these. There is so much nuance with each issue, and even individual cards within an issue -- the Olympic Jordan, the #101, and another good example being the Olajuwon XRC. Never centered unless trimmed.

I was encouraged to see the quote in the article: "Bigelow says PSA is using cards taken from sealed team bags as prototypes for how the cards will be graded". Hopefully that plus sufficient expertise with Star cards in the small grader pool will be enough for reasonably fair grading.
|
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)