View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 08:45 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I have been doing what you are thinking about for the last 5 years. I put together sets for years and then they just end up sitting. I have been downsizing my collection with the idea of adding at least one big card per year. In my experience it is better to have a few high dollar cards than a bunch of commons and stars. The high dollar cards’, like the 52 T Mantle, value comes from demand and that demand just grows. A perfect example is the 1949 Leaf Jackie Robinson RC. I am glad that I picked up a nice one because with the recent jump in price, I wouldn’t want to buy at today’s prices. The best time to get that Mantle is now. If it takes a jump, you will just have to sell more cards if it isn’t out of your reach.
I’m starting to feel the same. I’d rather have 3 big cards, being a 52T Mantle, mid grade J Robinson Leaf rc, and a high grade Jordan rc. Once I have those, I’d resume collecting random wants as they arise. My current path has no real direction beyond collecting the 2 sets I do. I’ve been pretty loose to this point, buying all types of cards impulsively, which would be indefinite.