View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 07:01 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I’m wondering if more experienced members might be able to explain the variations that exist with the 1949 Leaf Stan Musial card -

I have always lusted after that card and that series - I bought the Ted Williams from that set and totally love it

Any background to share on the color variations, why they exist, and if any are considered more rare, more common, etc

Thx - looking forward to hearing more

Jeff
I brought the same point up a little while ago and I think it ended up in the "inconclusive" file. The deduction I made was that there was a second printing of the cards in which there were several plate changes that were made. The 3 established variations, Peterson, Hermanski, Aberson are recognized by the public and PSA, however it's my opinion that there are additional variations that fall into the same category that are not accepted as true variations. Musial, Dimaggio, Robinson and Wagner also have "alternate" cards where there was a change to the plate to create a different "look" on the card. In most cases it was to make the hat color more pronounced, in the case of Wagner, the red is gone from his hand, which is probably the thinest variation of the bunch. In the case of Stan, Jackie and Joe D, the black plate seems to be masked to allow for their hats to be more prominent in color. On red hat variations for Stan Musial, you can actually see the line that was masked off on the black plate to allow the red of his hat to shine through. From what I can tell, these variations are far less frequent, but again they are not accepted in the mainstream since the printers of the '49 Leaf cards (thank you Ted Z for taking me to school on that) were horribly inconsistent in their ink color use, and registration. That said, it is probably my favorite set, sitting in the cross roads of an important time in history for both the sport, and the country!