View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
Hey, if you got the means to hoard them then it's certainly the right modern card to do so with. When you say "so few RC's as him", what's your guess as to the population? I figured the base card would be in the tens of thousands but I could be way wrong. Does the Update Series have limited production compared to Series 1 and 2?

I don't really prospect anymore either. My thinking is that by the time their first Topps card with the RC logo is released, they've at least made the big leagues and you have a small sample size to judge from. It's not as risky as spending $500 on a bowman chrome auto of a 17 year old in low-A.
Todd Van Poppel
Ben McDonald
John Olerud
Brien Taylor
Robin Ventura
Will Clark
Jose Canseco
Kevin Maas
Greg Jefferies

Yeah, I sucked at prospecting back then. So I quit prospecting in about 1992. Imagine what the “good” rookie cards of those guys would start at today. If Canseco were a prospect today, his rookie, refractor, shimmering ice, auto, jersey, hair follicle 1/3 would sell for over 100k, considering the way he began his career. Sometimes I get tempted to speculate on a young player, but then I go to eBay, see the prices and the ridiculous permutations of colors and varieties of essentially the same card, and then my urge goes away.