View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 07:15 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
J
Chris Stufflestreet. Super knowledgeable (and he let you know it), and incredibly friendly and generous with his knowledge.
Chris was generous with more than just his knowledge. Even today, I don't have a particularly deep network in the hobby, but I was pretty much flying solo when I first got back into the hobby in 2011. I found Chris' want list through OBC and I had a few cards he needed (1978 BK Yankees, if memory serves), so I worked out small trade. Early in 2012, I got laid off and was feeling sorry for myself in the middle of a job search. A package arrived in the mail from Chris containing a huge number of 1976 Topps cards towards the set build I put on hold while I was out of work. Completely unsolicited and with no strings attached.

I managed to land a new gig, but Chris passed away in September of that year and before I could ever return the favor. Since then, although too infrequently, I've tried to pay his generosity forward. As Emerson said:

"In the order of nature we cannot render benefits to those from whom we receive them, or only seldom. But the benefit we receive must be rendered again, line for line, deed for deed, cent for cent, to somebody."