View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 05:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default Red Cross - Is it really a Louisiana exclusive?

The Sets

Red Cross issued a number of sets.

T60 Flags - only issuer, larger size versions of selected T59 cards. Unknown date.

T207 - A handful of cards known. c. 1912

T215 - T206 partical clone in 2 types, c. 1910-1913.

T219 - One of 3 brand issuers, in a physically smaller size than the other 2. T219 is a shrunk version of T218, with a selection of 50 prize fighters drawn from all three series. 1911 or later issue.

All 4 are very tough.

In the N card era, 3 other sets were released by Red Cross Long Cut Tobacco, as a Lorillard brand. All 3 of them are physically large cards.

N264 - Actresses in multiple types from multiple lithographers, including Bien.

N266 - Set of 25 pairs of boxers demonstrating different moves and tactics. 1893 copyright date; in 2 varieties with 1 probably from an album or similar

N268 - Set of 25 circus scenes.

The Authorities
The T60 and T219 are usually ignored because they do not picture ballplayers. T215 is typically listed as a Louisiana exclusive in most sources, and cited as such. louisianacards.com lists it as the only Louisiana tobacco issue that wasn’t produced in Louisiana, observing the New Jersey factory number (which was the only evidence for Red Cross, and debunked as the factory does not dictate the geographic distribution of packs to that state). It is regularly and routinely cited as a Louisiana exclusive, like a number of others sets.

The evidence I have found

In the 19th century, Red Cross is one of Lorillard’s brands. Lorillard’s dates to the 1760’s, Red Cross I have not found a record of its registration or debut.

In the 1890’s, around the time of it’s N cards, they have advertisements in the New York area. For example, here’s one advertising the brand in 1895, that appears in a volume from the New York Protective Associations of the 49th District. Clearly, it was not a Louisiana regional brand in its initial form as a Lorillard brand, and I don’t think anyone really claims it was. Most sources saying it is a Louisiana brand address no history, and no cards beyond T207 or T215.

In 1899, Lorillard ceases to be an independent company. Their stock is bought out by the Continental Company, which is really just a front for the ATC, and also has Duke as it’s President. Lorillard continues to operate, like some others owned by the ATC, as a subsidiary instead of having its brands consumed and the corporate shell itself disappearing. https://web.archive.org/web/20100518...6.118.119.html. Red Cross thus becomes a subsidiary of the ATC.

In 1911, of course, American Tobacco is broken up for restraint of trade, and Lorillard becomes independent again. This was evidently a very confusing period for everyone in the industry, as the trust was broken up and production continued throughout this difficult period. On December 9, 1911 the Journal has an ATC ad including Red Cross on its list of brands it is soliciting orders for. One week later, the brand is back on Lorillard’s list of brands it is soliciting orders for. Both ads strongly indicate this brand was not limited to Louisiana in 1911.

In 1916, Red Cross Plug Chewing Tobacco is included in a sample of tobacco brands in a report by the New Hampshire State Board of Health, testing nicotine levels. An unlikely selection if it was a regional brand not available outside Louisiana.
https://www.google.com/books/edition...sq=red%20cross

Conclusion and request
So we can show that in the 1890’s, it wasn’t a Louisiana exclusive brand, nor was it in 1911 when the T219’s were issued and around the T69, T207 and T215 cards time, nor was it several years later. This calls into question the traditional hobby claim, of which I have not been able to find an evidentiary basis for. I am looking for evidence either to support or contradict hobby tradition. Is there evidence this is a Louisiana brand or Louisiana only cards? If so, what is this evidence? I am a collector of the boxing cards only for Red Cross, with no interest in a particular outcome, if the tradition is true or false.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 1895 - New York Protective Associations.jpg (63.6 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 2 December 9, ATC.jpg (200.3 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg 3 December 16 Lorillard.jpg (117.2 KB, 343 views)