View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 05:23 AM
Larry More.y

I first started the 52 set in 2005 with a goal of completing the set with an average condition of PSA 5. I worked on it for about a year and a half and got to about 40% (mainly low # commons) by late 2006. However, outside of the Mays card, I had none of the stars and started feeling like I would never complete this set and began working on other sets. For the next 10 years I worked on completing other sets (sets from 53 on up).

In 2016 I realized that the 52 set was a glaring hole in my collection. I also knew at this point that if I went back to building the 52 set, the distraction of building other sets would not be an issue as I had completed most all of the sets on my "list". So I started again on the 52 set. Over the past four years I have used nearly all of my collecting funds on this set. I picked up the Mantle (lower grade with my desired visual appeal) in 2016 knowing that once I had that card, it was down hill from there. I finished the low # run in early 2018 and have focused on the high #s since. I am now 12 cards shy including the Campy, Mathews and Jackie cards. Based on their costs (now), I have an anticipated finish date of 2022.

Minus the 10 year break, this set (based on my available funds/condition preference) will take almost 8 years to complete. For me, this set has been a journey.