View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 11:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamagedCase View Post
This is my new project. Dodgers Stadium field seats.
Thanks for all the helpful info on here.
These have been sitting outside in the LA sun since 2005. Beyond faded and corroded.
I found a way to properly restore the plastic seats and have been flip flopping with painting the metal legs/frame. Two different yellow colors appear. I’m guessing the first layer (light yellow) is closer to original. I can see red oxide primer under the yellow.

Since it’s still a 50/50 split on full restoration I’ve come here for advice.
I need to attack the rust issues first and I know it will disturb the paint anyway.

Any advice? Leave it? Or repaint?

These seats were pulled by my Dad from Dodger Stadium after the original construction in 1962. I had 20 at 1 time that were preserved under my grandmothers house until 2008. We had 8 in the backyard growing up that were painted a multitude of colors over the years.

When I wanted to redo a pair for my office, I wanted them as close to the way I remembered them as a child going with my grandfather. We sat Field Box Aisle 16 Row D Seat 7 & 8 every Sunday afternoon. I researched colors and repainted the rails as close to the original color that I pulled from the crawl space. They were in pretty good condition, but I wanted them re-done.

The backs were unpainted and again wanted them as close to the original colors I could find from that ERA and memory. They pay homage to my dad for his hard work in helping construct the stadium and my grandfather who took me to the most memorable games of my lifetime. I see both of them sitting in them smiling at me from time to time.

Hope that helps and wishing you a happy restoration whichever you choose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1715.jpg (75.1 KB, 121 views)