View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 11:23 AM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Where am I at now? Charting my progress through building a set

Newest pickups in post #31!

10/24 Update
I was traveling back home from a job site south of San Antonio this weekend, and I decided to stop in Waco at one of my favorite card shops. He had 2 of the 3 I needed to finish. That means I need 1 card. That's right 1 CARD!!!! So I'm really, really close to finishing. Then I'll either sell it as a whole or break it up and start working on a 1957 Topps set (I'm just getting started as I only have about 280 different thus far).

Original post:
Decided I wanted to chart (and show off) my progress into a 1958 Topps set. Decided to focus on this one since I was a lot closer to finishing than either my 1957 Topps or 1962 Topps sets (will work on those again once this mission is complete). Been working on this set about 6 weeks now.

By the way, I'm always looking for any needs if anyone has any extras to trade/sell. Got plenty of stuff to trade, including some extra 1958s.

Set goals: 1958 Topps in mid-grade (Vg-Ex to Ex to Ex-Mt)
Spent thus far: $1,356
Completion rate: 493/494 (99.8%)
Extras: Numberous, including Mathews AS, Presidents and Pinson RC
Creased/not usable: Almost 100

Set beginning:
Money spent: $0;
Cards acquired: My guess is probably close to 180 cards
(147 usable cards, tons of extras, tons creased I couldn't use)

Notes: Had been working at the LCS on Saturdays, and I bought a large lot of vintage they had for $400. It included about 150 different 1958s as well as some stuff from 1954 through the mid 1970s. I sold off all of the extra stars and lots of commons for more than $400 (probably about $800 all together), so broke even on the 58s, had a lot of extra to spend on other adventures and started the set with 150ish different by basically paying nothing.

7/17 Update:
Money spent: $175
Cards acquired: 39 cards
(37 usable, 1 extra, 1 creased that I couldn't use)

Notes: I went to the Dallas show and spent $175 between several dealers (also bought 2 Mantles from other years and other stuff too). Bought a bunch of HOFers from a guy named Roger Nufeldt (SP?) and a handful of commons from another seller. Got the Martin, Drysdale and Cepeda from yet a 3rd seller. Got everything pictured.

7/24 Update:
Money spent: $200;
Cards acquired: 140
(93 useable cards, 27 extras, 20 creased that I couldn't use)

Notes: Spent time yesterday at a small local show, and there was a vintage dealer there I hadn't seen before (Larry Duehly out of Houston if any of y'all know him). Spent a few hours going through a 1950s box and pulled out all the 1958s he had.

Went through them to figure out which I needed and even got a few extras. I wound up with 93 different commons I could use. Also got 27 that were dupes (I was trying to hurry and go through the numbers) and also got about 20 that I will throw away that were creased, etc. So added those 93 commons and the 3 HOFers shown to my set for $200. Will sell/trade off the extras, so that number could go down.

Really like Larry, enjoyed visiting with him and his prices are very good. Was a very good experience overall.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 10-30-2021 at 09:53 AM.