View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Eric Perry

Default Broad Street Bullies

I've often heard that memories formed in childhood tend to last a lifetime. This, for me, is a good thing.

I was born and raised in Philadelphia during an era when the city had four great sports teams. The Phillies were in the playoffs five times before my 12th birthday, winning the World Series when I was 8. The 76ers won the NBA title when I was 11. The Eagles were perennial contenders and made it to Super Bowl XV.

And, of course, there were the Philadelphia Flyers. While I was a little too young to properly enjoy it, they won back-to-back Stanley Cup Finals when yours truly was a preschooler.

They put a physically dominant, rough-and-tumble team on the ice for the better part of a decade. Their style of play was best described by coach Fred Shero, who told the Flyers to "take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor."

Pictured here are some of my treasured cards of the 1970s Broad Street Bullies. I'll scan some more and post them in this thread eventually. In the meantime, show 'em if you got 'em.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra