View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 07:09 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As seldom as we agree on anything, D we agree on that! I am emptying out my boxes of stuff I really don't much like and selling it off. Last several years I bought a lot of basketball from my childhood, in part because it was so cheap. At lowest ebb I was picking up PSA 8 1970s HOFers at less than the cost of grading. That's been over for a while. The prices I am checking, though, wow, and not just on big rookies. The average big star in 6 or better from Topps is up anywhere from 200%-500%. Take the 72 Maravich in a PSA 7. Third year of Pistol Pete, good shape for a 72 but not spectacular. Used to be about a $25-$30 card. Now $150.

Oh, and my Magic card is up to $811, closing tomorrow. That used to be the MJ price. Sure wish I'd picked one up...

If everyone had the same opinions at all times the world would be a boring place. Haha

It is really a fascinating situation because for years I have read posts by some who post basketball cards and make reference to the fact that the spread between them and baseball was incredibly wide and they had room to move up significantly. If you asked them to be honest did they think the market would price in such a huge change in six months I would imagine the answer would be no but the reality is there has been so much new money come into cards and people are dying to get it put to work. As I have said many times on various boards because you can't short cards or build derivative trades around them to slow the momentum it is a one way trade.

The guy I referenced above got the Dr. J sold in ten minutes. Pretty wild.