View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 07:05 PM
Curt

I have to really wonder what becomes of autograph collecting in the near distant future. more and more signatures are scribbled that are illegible. Any decent superstar makes $100s of millions and can't be bothered to sign for fans outside of crazy steep prices.

The new breed does like the new, shiny stuff and the high end autographs, but how long can that sustain? I saw a facebook group where someone asked for people to post their oldest card, their favorite and their most expensive. the answers were a bit shocking, then I realized that I wasn't all that shocked by it. Most oldest cards were 50s at best. I didn't scroll through all the answers, but the majority were 70s and newer! Favorite is irrelevant, but most expensive was almost entirely new issue, high end inserts. Lebron, Trout, Brady, etc.

Will the future collectors appreciate the older stuff when it reenters the market, as i am assuming most of it is tied up in older collections. Will they value it highly? Future buyer: Ohtani or Ruth auto...same price, hmmm, what to do, what to do???