View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Peterb69

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb69 View Post
Hi Ted,

I know I can find this answer if I search this forum, but I thought it might as well be put here incase new readers are unaware of the "Doyle Hoard".

I believe I read that Larry Fritsch realized that there was the Natl version out there, so he offered to buy any Doyle card sight unseen hoping to get a few Natl versions sent in. But what I forget is what happened to his hoarded collection of Doyles?

Perhaps you could fill in details to make this thread more complete.

Thanks & good job documanting the T206's.

In the early 1980's, Larry Fritsch realized that he had a Joe Doyle variation with the lettering "Nat'l" in this card's caption. He kept this to himself, and advertised in SCD
that he was buying T206 Doyle cards. He acquired many of them (Joe and Larry Doyle cards). However, none of the Joe Doyle's that he acquired had the "Nat'l" printing
on it. Circa 1986-1987, Bill Huggins finds a Joe Doyle with "Nat'l" printed on it. Fritsch buys this 2nd Joe Doyle variation from Huggins. Subsequently, its my understanding that Fritsch discreetly sold the T206 Doyle cards to select collectors in the hobby. Since, by the late 1980's, FAKE Joe Doyle "Nat'l" cards had surfaced at BB card shows.

An interesting follow-up to this story is that the 1910-11 childhood Tobacco card collection of Senator Richard Russell (which has been on display at the Univ. of Georgia
since the early 1980's) includes a Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'l card and a Ty Cobb with a Ty Cobb back.

Consider this, if Fritsch had known of this collection back in the early 1980's, would he have stll acquired all those Doyle cards ?

TED Z