View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 06:19 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default My conversation with Smoky Joe Wood's Grandson....show some Smoky Joe stuff

Hiking the Appalachian Trail in the Delaware Water Gap region, we stayed in Milford, PA. At the Inn we stayed at, I met Smoky Joe's Grandson, Dave.
The Innkeeper, Carl, introduced me to Dave. We sat at the bar and talked for quite a while. Smokey Joe was a very popular guy in Pike County, since
apparently he was quite a character in his older years. Both Dave and Carl related some interesting stories regarding Smoky Joe and his farm (which
has been in the family since the days of the American Revolution).
The conversation switched to talking BB and of course Joe's unbelievable 1912 season. Fenway Park's opening in 1912 was magic for Joe. He won 34
games while losing only 5. His ERA = 1.91, and he won 3 games in the World Series beating the NY Giants.
Dave wanted to know if his Grandfather's BB cards and memorabilia are valuable nowadays. And I said they certainly are. To which he replied...."Gee,
I am glad that I acquired most of my Grandfather's stuff back in the 1960's and 1970's."

Here's one of the displays in the Milford Historical Museum about Smoky Joe Wood......

Sorry about the blurry printing, but the lighting in the Museum was not too bright.

On display in this Museum is a very significant piece of American history, of which I will speak of in one of my next post here.....so stay tuned.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 10-29-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added information.