View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 04:49 AM
Michael Fried

Default Parade Sportive - What is it?

Exhibitman was kind enough in the Bond Bread "Imposters" thread to post a few of his Parade Sportive items. Other than knowing about the Jackie Robinson August 1946 newspaper insert, I knew nothing about them, so I started to do a little research.

For the Jackie Robinson fans, there are at least three varieties showing the August 1946 picture taken after Branch Rickey signed Robinson. One of those with the coupon on the bottom graded BGS 4.5 sold at a December 2019 Heritage Auction for $1,400 plus 20% buyer's commission, which is a total of $1680. There were 23 bids.

I am surprised with all of this bantering about, that nobody seems to know what "Parade Sportive" was or the many ways its photos were distributed? Since it's not on Wikipedia, I guess no one cares, except that there is a 1946 Jackie Robinson one (actually several).

Have you thought about looking for photos, newspaper articles and perhaps even a very obscure "card" with Jackie Robinson playing baseball (or another sport) in collage at UCLA or after his military service with the Kansas City Monarchs -- all before Branch Rickey signed him? Those would be real finds.

If anyone cares, Parade Sportive put out hundreds of different items like the Jackie Robinson in a number of sports: Baseball, Hockey, Boxing, Wrestling, Skiing, Ice Skating, Tennis, Track and Field, and more.

If a number of people are interested, I can now provide many details on Parade Sportive and its issues. That could be done in this thread, a new thread, or you can tell me just to "buzz" off. Let me know what you'd like.

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 09-18-2020 at 04:49 AM.