View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 09:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I understand what it does but I'm not sure why you'd need it. The opinion of the grader will determine how the centering is going to affect the grade of a specific card.

I guess what I mean is even if you determine the centering is mathematically equivalent to the minimum standards listed, it's going to be the grader's discretion and they won't accept your measurements.
I don't have one, but have measured cards a few times with the really accurate ruler I use for stamps- and that seldom gets used for measuring distance, It's mostly a perforation gage.

The few cards I've sent in, the question was more "is it a 4 or a 5?" And I didn't pay much attention to centering.

I suppose if I wanted to try for 9s and 10s, I'd want to measure the centering before sending it in. It seems more "scientific" than me "well this card looks really really good so in it goes" Which didn't do as well as I'd hoped when I tried a few modern cards. A 9, mostly 8's and a couple 7-7.5s

Do I think the graders will actually measure? No, probably not. But even at the old regular prices limiting the ones most likely to not grade high seems sensible.