View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Unfortunately, you'll have to get used to the classless players with no respect for the game because the bat flip is being glorified and kids are practicing them now. It's sad that so many players have no respect for their fellow baseball players and no sense of history, but that's the SportsCenter generation for you.

I have no idea why players can't just put the bat down and run the bases. I've seen players do it in the past, so it can be done, scientists just have to figure out what has changed.

If they don't, they are going to keep trying to top the last "epic bat flip" which will probably end up in wars between the players with class and respect vs the jerks, except in this day and age, the good guys look like jerks because they defend the game.
Bat flips are awesome. Baseball is fun! Let the players show it! Our game needs kids to love playing and watching it. If the old fogies and traditionalists from my generation and older persist in sucking the enthusiasm out of the players, we all lose as baseball fans.

I love Fernando Rodney for shooting the arrow last night. He showed millions of Cubs fans that the team wasn't afraid of St. Louis. (Even though he scared the hell out of us for doing it before the inning was over.)

I love that Joey Bats got jacked up and flipped his bat dramatically. Hell, he smoked that ball to win the series for the Jays after being down 0-2. It was cathartic if nothing else.

I love seeing grown men act like little boys for playing a game.

Our game is beautiful because it blends players from around the world and brings the best players in the planet to our shores. There are several cultural considerations to be made. Not all cultures act as we do! John Baker, a retired catcher, wrote an excellent article on how on-field celebrations are a part of the game that is lionized in other countries.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...o-where-061615