View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Default 1900's? Football napkin holder figural- pewter?

Posted By: Sandra Whitson

Hi again -
First of all, Carlton is right - I don't "hang out" at Net 54 - only came to this site at the request of Carlton, who wanted my opinion on the football player napkin ring. But, this seems like a fun group - I might have to check in here more often!
Secondly - congratulations to Leon for pulling the football player napkin ring from his auction. You don't need your reputation clouded by carrying this junk! Go to Brimfield (MA) sometime - you will see these fake rings lined up like cordwood!
Ben - yes, your grandmother's baseball player is the GOOD one! Genuine figural napkin rings date from 1869 - 1900. There is one other that was made - it is a Kate Greenaway boy, with a baseball bat under his arm and a baseball by his foot, as he stands in front of the napkin holder (no base). There are people who LOVE the Kate Greenaway napkin rings and collect them happily. But, in my experience, I have found that the "real" baseball collectors find the Greenaway boy to be a little too "cutesy."
The baseball player thermometer is fantastic - I certainly would have bought it had I ever seen it for sale - but, I have not.
So, maybe I do need to hang out at Net 54 a little more often!
Sandra